At Cardinal Point, we guide our clients through a full range of Canadian, U.S. and cross-border tax planning strategies that minimize their tax liabilities, maximize their cash flow and keep them on track to realize their financial goals. Our tax planning initiatives are fully integrated with our clients’ investment, financial and estate planning strategies. This coordinated approach to wealth management streamlines the financial planning process and helps our clients ensure lasting wealth for today, tomorrow and generations to come.
Canada and U.S. Tax Preparation
Our domestic and cross-border taxation services include tax preparation and tax compliance for clients living, working, investing, transitioning residency and/or conducting business in the United States and Canada. We provide comprehensive Canada, U.S. and cross-border tax services in the following areas:
- Canada and U.S. tax preparation (including all provincial and state filings)
- Tax preparation for Canadians living, working or investing in the U.S.
- Tax preparation for Americans living, working or investing in Canada
- Tax planning for Canadians moving to the U.S. and Americans moving to Canada
- Tax planning and filings for Canadians buying and selling U.S. properties and Americans buying and selling Canadian properties
- Tax planning and filings for Canadians owning U.S. rental properties and Americans owning Canadian rental properties
- Foreign account reporting requirements
- Determination of U.S. and Canada tax residency status and any applicable exemptions
- Filing of Canadian departure returns and deemed disposition
- Elimination of double taxation issues through the utilization of the U.S.-Canada Tax Treaty
- Application of Canadian and U.S. foreign tax credits
- Advice on Social Security-CPP equalization
- Reporting requirements for RRSP, TSFA, RESP accounts in the U.S.
- Tax advice for Canadian and U.S. expats returning to their home country
- Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative
- Tax reporting on cross-border inheritances
- Evaluation of Canadian tax positions, U.S. estate tax issues for Canadian residents holding U.S. investments (including U.S. real estate), and related tax planning
Whether you are a Canadian living in the United States, an American living in Canada or an expat living abroad, Cardinal Point can handle all aspects of your tax needs to ensure you are complying with the relevant tax laws and regulations in Canada and the United States.
Americans Living in Canada
As an American residing in Canada, it’s important to make sure your financial affairs are structured properly to avoid double taxation issues and ensure compliance with the laws of both countries.
Canadians Living in the U.S.
Whether you are transitioning residency between Canada and U.S. or you have already made the move but continue to hold investment assets or financial interests in both Canada and the United States, proper cross-border financial planning can integrate and coordinate the asset management of your investments, reduce taxes and maximize your estate.
Expatriates Living Abroad
For those Canadians and Americans moving or living abroad, careful cross-border financial planning considerations must be given to ensure tax and regulatory compliance in both your home and adopted countries.